- see all comments
"This is an awful recipe. Just doesn't work at all. The whole thing still looked just like flour after adding the amount of liquid in the recipe. Wasted a load of ingredients trying it so you don't have to."
"Has anyone used a pasta machine to roll this out? I have had success with egg based GF pasta (with enough xanthan gum) to roll carefully through the pasta machine. Wondering if theres enough hold to do it with this one. Looking forward to trying!"
"This recipe needs a lot of work. The proportions are not correct and the instructions need more work and clarity."
"your favorite foods won't make you feel sick anymore!"
Creamy Asparagus Soup with Coconut Milk
We are adding the recipe to your Recipes.
The recipe was added to your Recipes.
Click here to view your Recipes.
This gluten free soup is super creamy, decadent, and a great vegan option. You should whip up this Creamy Asparagus Soup with Coconut Milk when you're looking for a tasty way to get your daily serving of veggies. Using coconut milk in this healthy soup adds a subtle sweetness that helps balance the flavor of asparagus. Enjoy this simple recipe for a fun date night, or make a big batch for a guaranteed crowd-pleasing starter. Serve this savory soup with a batch of freshly-made gluten free bread because a slice of warm bread and a hefty helping of this soup will certainly brighten your day.
Preparation Time5 min
Cooking Time35 min
- 1 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 leek, cleaned and chopped (white part only)
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 1/2 cups chopped asparagus (rinsed, ends trimmed, and cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
Potato soup is a perfect meal when it's cold outside, when you're feeling down in the dumps, or when you want a classic comfort meal. 8 Hearty Potato Soup Recipes
To Make the Gluten Free Soup
In a medium saucepan, melt the coconut oil. Add the leeks, ginger, and garlic and cook on medium-low heat until leeks are tender. This will take about 5 minutes.
Add the chopped asparagus and vegetable or chicken stock and bring to a simmer.
Add the lemon juice, zest, rosemary, and parsley. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until the asparagus are tender.
In a food processor, puree the soup until smooth.
Return the soup to the saucepan and add the coconut milk, salt, and pepper. Heat a few minutes if serving warm or chill in the fridge for a few hours.
What is coconut milk?
Don't be confused by the terms "coconut water" and "coconut milk." Coconut water is the actual liquid at the center of a coconut. The milk itself is made from grating and pressing the shavings of the white inner meat of a coconut. Water is then added to the resulting shavings and simmered in order to suspend the coconut's saturated fats. Different grades of coconut milk exist. Thicker kinds have more fat (around 20%) in them than thinner kinds (around 5%). Some health organizations discourage excessive consumption of coconut milk because of its high amount of saturated fat. However, it does make a good addition to many recipes.
Coconut milk can be used...
- as a dairy substitute
- in beverages such as smoothies and cocktails
- in sauces and dips such as curry or dessert toppings
- in foods from Thai and Indian cuisines such as Thai coconut curry noodle soup or grilled chicken kebabs.
- "Coconut Milk" from Wikipedia
- "Everything You Can Do With a Can of Coconut Milk" from Serious Eats
This gluten free soup recipe was inspired by Claire's Creamy Asparagus Soup
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Images from other cooks
Aug 04, 2015
I would never think about putting coconut milk with asparagus, but this could be an interesting combination
Jul 22, 2015
This looks really interesting. I'm not sure I've ever had coconut milk in soup before.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Recipe of the Day
Gluten Free Cinnamon Rolls with No Yeast
"Gluten Free Cinnamon rolls made with no yeast will make your weekend breakfast easier and more comforting than ever. Can easily be… Continue reading: "Gluten Free Cinnamon Rolls with No Yeast"
My Recipes (0) View »
Something worth saving?
- SAVE your favorite recipes
- ADD personal reminder notes
- QUICKLY reference your recipes
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- Buffalo Cauliflower Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Southern Ham With Red Eye Gravy Recipe
- Black Eyed Pea Caviar
- Creamy Jalapeño Sauce
- Honey Goat Cheese Ball Appetizer
- Healthy One Pot Pasta
- Rainbow Chicken Salad Lettuce Wraps
- Bacon Ranch Chicken Salad
- Goat Cheese Scrambled Eggs
- Broccoli White Cheddar Soup
- 13 Homemade Bread Recipes: Gluten Free Bread eCookbook
- 14 Gluten Free Casserole Recipes
- 15 Favorite Tailgating Foods
- 15 Gluten Free Breakfast Ideas
- 16 Best Gluten Free Cookie Recipes from Scratch
- 7 Gluten Free Kid Friendly Recipes Everyone Will Love
- 9 Gluten Free Cake Recipes for Any Occasion
- 9 Gluten Free Muffin Recipes
- 9 Gluten Free Pasta Recipes You'll Love
- Delicious Gluten Free Desserts: 7 Gluten Free Pie Recipes