Lucy's Gluten Free Vegan Carrot Cake
We are adding the recipe to your Recipes.
The recipe was added to your Recipes.
If you are looking for vegan and gluten free recipes to make for a special occasion, then this is the gluten free carrot cake recipe for you. This recipe for Lucy's Gluten-Free Vegan Carrot Cake from Lucy Gibney of Dr. Lucy's Cookies is a dessert delight. No carrot cake would be complete without the cream cheese frosting, and a vegan gluten free icing recipe is also included here.
*If you would rather use eggs, the soy milk and Ener-G egg replacer can be omitted and replaced with two to three whole eggs. For another vegan option, instead of using soy milk and Ener-G Egg Replacer, use 1/4 cup.
**A blend of garbanzo, potato starch and tapioca starch in roughly a 5:3:2 ratio works great. Or, use a blend that you already like. If you decide to use a flour/baking mix that is pre-prepared with baking soda, baking powder and salt, take care not to add these again into the recipe.
If you want to garnish the cake further, consider grating lemon and/or orange peel on the icing. Other options for those who are not allergic would include toasted, chopped walnuts in the cake recipe and/or as a garnish on the icing.
Concerning the frosting:
The most important tricks for success are careful sifting of the powdered sugar, and adequate blending of ingredients with a heavy duty mixer and whisk attachment.
You may want to add more or less powdered sugar, depending on the taste and texture you prefer for your frosting. You can also adjust the flavorings and salt to suit your tastes.
If you are new to icing cakes, I highly recommend that you invest in two baker’s icing spatulas. One should be about 11 inches long and about 1.5 inches wide. The other, 8 inches long and narrower. They are inexpensive and will make the job much easier and the result more appealing! You’ll know which one to use for which parts of the job once you’ve tried them a few times!
Cooking Time40 min
- For the cake:
- 2/3 cup soy milk (You may use other types of milk instead.)
- 3 tablespoons Ener-G (brand) Egg Replacer*
- 2 cups of your favorite gluten free flour mix**
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup canola oil (You can use a little less if you like a drier cake.)
- 3/4 cup sugar (I use organic evaporated cane juice.)
- 2/3 cup brown sugar (Also here, I use the organic evaporated cane juice version.)
- 1/2 cup orange marmalade (A smoother, less chunky brand works better.)
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 3 cups grated carrots, lightly packed
- For the cream cheese icing:
- 2 cups organic palm oil shortening
- 7 ounces vegan cream cheese
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoon orange extract
- 3 pinchs salt
- 7 cups gluten free powdered sugar, sifted thoroughly (This is about one 2 pound bag!)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare two 8-inch round cake pans with shortening and a dusting of flour mix. I use organic palm oil shortening to grease the pans and then shake in sifted flour blend, dumping excess flour once the pans are covered lightly.
If you are using the Ener-G egg replacer and soy milk blend suggested above, prepare that now so it will have time to bloom into a sticky egg-like substance. For this, I heat 2/3 cup soymilk in the microwave for about 22 seconds, then stir in the egg replacer. Use a fork to whisk it so that no clumps are remaining. Set aside to bloom!
Sift together the dry ingredients, including the cinnamon and xanthan gum.
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine canola oil, white and brown sugars, marmalade, orange juice, and Egg Replacer and soy milk blend (or eggs, or flax meal if you so chose). Mix for about 30 seconds.
Now, at a low mixer speed, add dry ingredients gradually in thirds. Mix only until blended and smooth; then briefly blend in carrots.
Pour batter into prepared cake pans and bake for about 35 to 40 minutes. A toothpick or metal skewer inserted in the middle of the cakes should come out clean to indicate doneness.
When baking is complete, cool cakes for at least 10 minutes in pans on a cooling rack then remove from pans to finish cooling.
Lucys Gluten-Free Vegan Cream Cheese Icing:
Combine the shortening, vegan cream cheese, salt, vanilla and orange flavoring together the mixer and whisk on high speed for about one minute until smooth.
Then gradually add the sifted powdered sugar on slow speed until blended, running mixer at about 20 to 30 second intervals.
Lastly, whisk the finished mix on high speed for added fluff.
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Images from other cooks
Recipe of the Day
These Apple Oatmeal Gluten Free Muffins are chock full of yummy ingredients that are good for you. Oatmeal and chunks of apple give… Continue reading: "Apple Oatmeal Gluten Free Muffins"
- Lucy's Gluten Free Vegan Carrot Cake
- Lazy Day Chocolate Cake in a Mug
- Hummingbird Cake
- Gluten Free Chocolate Poke Cake Recipe
- Apple Crack Cake
- Strawberry Almond Breakfast Cake
- Gluten Free Custard Cake
- Sunday Supper Gluten Free Carrot Cake
- Mini Coconut Banana Bread Cakes
- One Bowl Gluten Free Chocolate Cake Recipe
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- Easy Vegan Eggplant Parmesan (Gluten-Free, Allergy-Free) | Air Fried & Baked
- Gluten-Free Brown Rice Stuffing Casserole (Vegan, Allergy-Free)
- Vegan Meal Prep with Black Beans & Rice
- Green Sauce
- Crustless Pecan Pie without Corn Syrup (Gluten-Free, Vegan, Paleo)
- Pulled Pork Chili
- Loaded Vegan White Chocolate Chip Pretzel Cookies (Gluten-Free, Allergy-Free)
- Vegan Sweet Potato Casserole with Marshmallow (Gluten-Free, Allergy-Free)
- Mashed Cauliflower
- Southern Gluten-Free Cornbread Stuffing (Vegan, Allergy-Free)
- 13 Homemade Bread Recipes: Gluten Free Bread eCookbook
- 14 Gluten Free Casserole Recipes
- 15 Favorite Tailgating Foods
- 15 Gluten Free Breakfast Ideas
- 16 Best Gluten Free Cookie Recipes from Scratch
- 7 Gluten Free Kid Friendly Recipes Everyone Will Love
- 9 Gluten Free Cake Recipes for Any Occasion
- 9 Gluten Free Muffin Recipes
- 9 Gluten Free Pasta Recipes You'll Love
- Delicious Gluten Free Desserts: 7 Gluten Free Pie Recipes