Gluten Free Vegan Chocolate Cake
We are adding the recipe to your Recipes.
The recipe was added to your Recipes.
Combine two of your favorite gluten free cake recipes into one vegan dessert that just about everyone can enjoy with this idea. The secret to this Gluten Free Vegan Chocolate Cake recipe from Lucy Gibney of Dr. Lucy's Cookies is that the batter includes carrots. Here you can also find a vegan and gluten free frosting recipe to use with this gluten free chocolate cake.
If you decide to use a flour/baking mix that is pre-prepared with baking soda, baking powder and salt, take care not to add these again into the recipe.
Concerning the frosting:
The most important tricks for success are careful sifting of the powdered sugar, and adequate blending of ingredients with a heavy duty mixer and whisk attachment.
You may want to add more or less powdered sugar, depending on the taste and texture you prefer for your frosting. You can also adjust the flavorings and salt to suit your tastes.
If you are new to icing cakes, I highly recommend that you invest in two baker’s icing spatulas. One should be about 11 inches long and about 1.5 inches wide. The other, 8 inches long and narrower. They are inexpensive and will make the job much easier and the result more appealing! You’ll know which one to use for which parts of the job once you’ve tried them a few times!
- 2/3 cup soy milk (You may use other types of milk instead.)
- 3 tablespoons Ener-G (brand) Egg Replacer (If you would rather use eggs, the soy milk and Ener-G egg replacer can be omitted and replaced with two to three whole eggs. For another vegan option, instead of using soy milk and Ener-G Egg Replacer, use 1/4 cup
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 2/3 cup boiling water
- 2 cups your favorite gluten free flour mix (A blend of garbanzo, potato starch and tapioca starch in roughly a 5:3:2 ratio works great. Or, use a blend that you already like.)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cup carrots, lightly pureed
- 1/2 cup orange marmalade (A smoother, less chunky brand works better.)
- 3/4 cup canola oil (You can use a little less if you like a drier cake.)
- 1 1/2 cup sugar (I use organic evaporated cane juice.)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- LUCY'S GLUTEN-FREE VEGAN CREAM CHEESE ICING:
- 2 cups organic palm oil shortening
- 7 ounces vegan cream cheese
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoon orange extract
- 3 pinchs salt
- 7 cups gluten free powdered sugar, sifted thoroughly (This is about one 2 pound bag!)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare two 8-inch round cake pans with shortening and a dusting of flour mix. I use organic palm oil shortening to grease the pans and then shake in sifted flour blend, dumping excess flour once the pans are covered lightly.
If you are using the Ener-G egg replacer and soy milk blend suggested above, prepare that now so it will have time to bloom into a sticky egg-like substance. For this, I heat 2/3 cup soymilk in the microwave for about 22 seconds, then stir in the egg replacer. Use a fork to whisk it so that no clumps are remaining. Set aside to bloom!
Combine the cocoa and boiling water and mix with a fork or whisk until smooth. Allow to cool. Sift together the dry ingredients, including the xanthan gum and salt.
Grate and puree carrots using a food processor, then briefly pulse in the marmalade.
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine canola oil, sugar, vanilla, orange juice, Egg Replacer and soy milk blend (or eggs, or flax meal if you so chose), cocoa mixture. Mix for about 30 seconds.
Now, at a low mixer speed, add dry ingredients gradually in thirds. Mix only until blended and smooth; then briefly blend in carrot and marmalade mixture.
Pour batter into prepared cake pans and bake for about 35 to 40 minutes. A toothpick or metal skewer inserted in the middle of the cakes should come out clean to indicate doneness.
When baking is complete, cool cakes for at least 10 minutes in pans on a cooling rack then remove from pans to finish cooling.
Lucys Gluten-Free Vegan Cream Cheese Icing:
Combine the shortening, vegan cream cheese, salt, vanilla and orange flavoring together the mixer and whisk on high speed for about one minute until smooth.
Then gradually add the sifted powdered sugar on slow speed until blended, running mixer at about 20 to 30 second intervals.
Lastly, whisk the finished mix on high speed for added fluff.
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Images from other cooks
- Vegan and Gluten Free Carrot Cake Loaf
- One-Minute Chocolate Cake
- Gluten Free Iced Lemon Pound Cake
- Lucy's Gluten Free Vegan Carrot Cake
- Rich and Creamy Chocolate Truffle Cake
- 7 Recipes with Cake Mix
- Hummingbird Cake
- Gluten Free Triple Chocolate Cream Cake
- Flourless Lemon Cake
- 14 Rich and Creamy Gluten Free Cake Recipes
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- Fried Riced Cauliflower – Eggfree
- Blt Deviled Eggs
- Jalapeno Popper Deviled Eggs
- How To Make Coconut Whipped Cream
- 15 Minute Tomato Paste Pasta Sauce
- Strawberry Spring Mix Salad With Oriental Dressing
- Ham And Pineapple Pasta Salad
- Fresh Spring Salad Recipe
- Amaretto Sunset Mimosas
- Salmon Lox Recipe. Make Your Own Bagels And Lox For Sunday Brunch.
- 13 Homemade Bread Recipes: Gluten Free Bread eCookbook
- 14 Gluten Free Casserole Recipes
- 15 Favorite Tailgating Foods
- 15 Gluten Free Breakfast Ideas
- 16 Best Gluten Free Cookie Recipes from Scratch
- 7 Gluten Free Kid Friendly Recipes Everyone Will Love
- 9 Gluten Free Cake Recipes for Any Occasion
- 9 Gluten Free Muffin Recipes
- 9 Gluten Free Pasta Recipes You'll Love
- Delicious Gluten Free Desserts: 7 Gluten Free Pie Recipes