- see all comments
"This is an awful recipe. Just doesn't work at all. The whole thing still looked just like flour after adding the amount of liquid in the recipe. Wasted a load of ingredients trying it so you don't have to."
"Has anyone used a pasta machine to roll this out? I have had success with egg based GF pasta (with enough xanthan gum) to roll carefully through the pasta machine. Wondering if theres enough hold to do it with this one. Looking forward to trying!"
"This recipe needs a lot of work. The proportions are not correct and the instructions need more work and clarity."
"your favorite foods won't make you feel sick anymore!"
Gluten Free Vegan Chocolate Cake
We are adding the recipe to your Recipes.
The recipe was added to your Recipes.
Click here to view your Recipes.
Combine two of your favorite gluten free cake recipes into one vegan dessert that just about everyone can enjoy with this idea. The secret to this Gluten Free Vegan Chocolate Cake recipe from Lucy Gibney of Dr. Lucy's Cookies is that the batter includes carrots. Here you can also find a vegan and gluten free frosting recipe to use with this gluten free chocolate cake.
If you decide to use a flour/baking mix that is pre-prepared with baking soda, baking powder and salt, take care not to add these again into the recipe.
Concerning the frosting:
The most important tricks for success are careful sifting of the powdered sugar, and adequate blending of ingredients with a heavy duty mixer and whisk attachment.
You may want to add more or less powdered sugar, depending on the taste and texture you prefer for your frosting. You can also adjust the flavorings and salt to suit your tastes.
If you are new to icing cakes, I highly recommend that you invest in two baker’s icing spatulas. One should be about 11 inches long and about 1.5 inches wide. The other, 8 inches long and narrower. They are inexpensive and will make the job much easier and the result more appealing! You’ll know which one to use for which parts of the job once you’ve tried them a few times!
- 2/3 cup soy milk (You may use other types of milk instead.)
- 3 tablespoons Ener-G (brand) Egg Replacer (If you would rather use eggs, the soy milk and Ener-G egg replacer can be omitted and replaced with two to three whole eggs. For another vegan option, instead of using soy milk and Ener-G Egg Replacer, use 1/4 cup
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 2/3 cup boiling water
- 2 cups your favorite gluten free flour mix (A blend of garbanzo, potato starch and tapioca starch in roughly a 5:3:2 ratio works great. Or, use a blend that you already like.)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cup carrots, lightly pureed
- 1/2 cup orange marmalade (A smoother, less chunky brand works better.)
- 3/4 cup canola oil (You can use a little less if you like a drier cake.)
- 1 1/2 cup sugar (I use organic evaporated cane juice.)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- LUCY'S GLUTEN-FREE VEGAN CREAM CHEESE ICING:
- 2 cups organic palm oil shortening
- 7 ounces vegan cream cheese
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoon orange extract
- 3 pinchs salt
- 7 cups gluten free powdered sugar, sifted thoroughly (This is about one 2 pound bag!)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare two 8-inch round cake pans with shortening and a dusting of flour mix. I use organic palm oil shortening to grease the pans and then shake in sifted flour blend, dumping excess flour once the pans are covered lightly.
If you are using the Ener-G egg replacer and soy milk blend suggested above, prepare that now so it will have time to bloom into a sticky egg-like substance. For this, I heat 2/3 cup soymilk in the microwave for about 22 seconds, then stir in the egg replacer. Use a fork to whisk it so that no clumps are remaining. Set aside to bloom!
Combine the cocoa and boiling water and mix with a fork or whisk until smooth. Allow to cool. Sift together the dry ingredients, including the xanthan gum and salt.
Grate and puree carrots using a food processor, then briefly pulse in the marmalade.
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine canola oil, sugar, vanilla, orange juice, Egg Replacer and soy milk blend (or eggs, or flax meal if you so chose), cocoa mixture. Mix for about 30 seconds.
Now, at a low mixer speed, add dry ingredients gradually in thirds. Mix only until blended and smooth; then briefly blend in carrot and marmalade mixture.
Pour batter into prepared cake pans and bake for about 35 to 40 minutes. A toothpick or metal skewer inserted in the middle of the cakes should come out clean to indicate doneness.
When baking is complete, cool cakes for at least 10 minutes in pans on a cooling rack then remove from pans to finish cooling.
Lucys Gluten-Free Vegan Cream Cheese Icing:
Combine the shortening, vegan cream cheese, salt, vanilla and orange flavoring together the mixer and whisk on high speed for about one minute until smooth.
Then gradually add the sifted powdered sugar on slow speed until blended, running mixer at about 20 to 30 second intervals.
Lastly, whisk the finished mix on high speed for added fluff.
Read NextOne-Minute Chocolate Cake
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Images from other cooks
Recipe of the Day
Butterfinger Cheesecake Brownie Bars
"If you love Butterfingers, these gluten free creamy cheesecake brownie bars will quickly become your favorite dessert. They are melt… Continue reading: "Butterfinger Cheesecake Brownie Bars"
My Recipes (0) View »
Something worth saving?
- SAVE your favorite recipes
- ADD personal reminder notes
- QUICKLY reference your recipes
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- Best Simple Coffee Ice Cream Recipe
- Easy Creamy Ranch Chicken Recipe
- Easy Chicken Chop Suey Recipe
- Gluten-free Strawberry Crunch Cake
- Gluten Free Apple Crisp
- The Best Gluten Free Pancakes
- Gluten-free Lemon Cake
- Italian Quinoa Pasta Salad
- Mexican Brussel Sprouts
- Texas Roadhouse Sauteed Mushrooms Recipe
- 13 Homemade Bread Recipes: Gluten Free Bread eCookbook
- 14 Gluten Free Casserole Recipes
- 15 Favorite Tailgating Foods
- 15 Gluten Free Breakfast Ideas
- 16 Best Gluten Free Cookie Recipes from Scratch
- 7 Gluten Free Kid Friendly Recipes Everyone Will Love
- 9 Gluten Free Cake Recipes for Any Occasion
- 9 Gluten Free Muffin Recipes
- 9 Gluten Free Pasta Recipes You'll Love
- Delicious Gluten Free Desserts: 7 Gluten Free Pie Recipes